Saturday, January 23, 2016

Snowmageddan 2016...



If you live in the United States or Canada, you no doubt have heard about "Jonas", the winter storm that is currently wreaking havoc on the eastern part of the USA.  Where we live in West Virginia was directly in the path of the storm from about 11 AM on Friday till about 5 PM Saturday.

We had plenty of warning about the storm, so I did our normal weekend grocery shopping on Thursday.  The stores were a NIGHTMARE, but I persevered and made it through!  (Trust me, you do NOT want to be in a grocery store in the 24 hours before a storm is predicted!)  Businesses and offices started announcing on Thursday that they would be closed by noon on Friday.  The road crews were on alert and mobilized.  West Virginia and the eastern seaboard were READY!  

Once Andy got home from work on Friday, I knew that neither of us would be going anywhere for a few days.  We were both off of work for the weekend, so there was nothing to do but hunker down and relax and enjoy the forced R & R.  

My plan for the weekend was to spend the majority of it in my sewing room.  I spent Friday cutting out the pieces for a new quilt project...a "jar" quilt made from novelty fabrics...a kind of "I Spy" quilt, but incorporating the jar theme into it.  

Here are all my pieces cut and stacked...


and today I started piecing the quilt on my 1957 Singer Featherweight...


Here's one of the blocks completed...they measure 6.5" x 8.5" unfinished...



This afternoon I ventured outside to take some pictures as the storm was winding down.

This measurement was taken on the sidewalk in front of our house...

 

A view of our property...garage, carport, and house...


Another view of our house...the hump on the right side of this picture is actually one of our vehicles completely covered with snow! 


This was the view from our carport this afternoon as Andy shoveled our driveway...


The view of our street to the north of our house...


...and to the south...


If you were in the path of this storm, I hope that you and your family are all safe!

Loretta

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of snow! I hope you got a lot of quilting done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks a lot like the blizzard of 1978 when my daughter was 4, she was standing next to a pile and it towered over her...lol...at least it melts fairly quickly in your neck of the woods...we didn't get a flake but it has been bitter cold, like 5 degrees every morning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the blizzard of '78! I drove to work and back in it! Lived in NW Ohio at the time.

      Delete
  3. Whoohoo! you got the jackpot of snow! Great looking jar quilt and I love your Singer Featherweight!

    ReplyDelete